Founded in 1897, Zhejiang University is one of China's oldest and most prestigious universities. It is a member of the country’s elite C9 League, and is ranked 68th globally in the 2018 QS World University Rankings.
In 2016 ZJU opened a high-profile international campus which partners with other prestigious universities from around the world. Current partners are the University of Edinburgh (in the field of biomedical sciences) and the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (in the field of engineering), and further highly-ranked overseas institutions will join as partners in the coming years. Students are admitted with the same high academic requirements as at the rest of Zhejiang University, and graduate with degrees from both ZJU and the foreign partner university. English is the medium of instruction. The campus is based in Haining, one of China’s fastest growing cities and located in the “one-hour economic circle” of Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Suzhou. We have an ambitious vision for a new model of transnational higher education, bringing together the best of multiple countries’ higher education systems on a single campus.
The campus’ English Language Center currently seeks a new English for Academic Purposes Instructor. The new EAP Instructor will work within our growing team to provide high-quality academic English teaching and support to undergraduate and postgraduate students studying for dual degrees from ZJU and our US and UK partners. You will also help promote and support an environment of English language use and learning across the whole campus, for both students and staff. As ZJU is pioneering an ambitious new model of transnational higher education, you will contribute to developing and delivering similarly innovative, high-quality English programs and projects to help achieve this vision.
Post Description & Responsibilities
· Location: Haining, Zhejiang Province, China
· Term: 2 years, from August 26th 2019
· Workload: 40 hours/week, including 16-18 teaching hours/week
· Teach to agreed standards on both credit-bearing and support EAP/ESP courses, as required
· Help develop a portfolio of new materials, courses and services as the International Campus grows
· Administrative duties relating to teaching (including assessment, standardization, lesson preparation, report writing, attendance of regular course and general meetings)
· Effective liaison with Language Center colleagues, and with academic staff across the campus
· Any other reasonable duties appropriate to the post
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
· Experience of the US higher education system – as student and/or as staff (required for this recruitment round)
· Master's degree in TESOL/Applied Linguistics (or equivalent), or Cambridge ESOL DELTA
· English as a first language, or equivalent English language proficiency
· At least three years’ experience in English language teaching at university level
· Experience in teaching English for Academic Purposes
· Confidence in analyzing language and academic performance, and in giving clear, constructive feedback on students' spoken and written work
· Ability to work in a team and to teach and assess to agreed criteria
· Experience teaching in China
· Experience teaching English for STEM subjects
· Experience teaching US-style rhetoric/composition courses
· Experience in EAP curriculum and materials development
· Experience in innovative use of technology to support teaching and learning
Salary & Benefits
We offer a salary of 210,000 to 240,000 RMB/year; annual round-trip flight tickets; and basic medical insurance.
Conditions of Employment
The contract of employment will be held with ZJU International Campus and the appointment and conditions will be governed by the employment laws of China and the policies and practices of Zhejiang University.
To apply, please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
· cover letter (also stating where you saw the post advertised)
· scanned copies of relevant degrees/diplomas, transcripts, and teaching certificates
· a recommendation letter from current or recent employer
Application deadline: Midnight Sunday 14th April 2019
Only successful applicants will be contacted, to be invited to interview. Interviews will be conducted in person or via video online. Recruitment decisions are made by a panel of staff from relevant departments at ZJU, taking into account the application and the needs of the role.